- Attention All Genealogists from Bull Family Assoc [they are looking for a n
ew William Bull and Sarah Wells Stone House Association genealogist]
- Free Genealogy Seminar -- LDS Church -- Lake Katherine, NY
- Blauvelt Family Reunion
- Some Helpful Information [how to submit queries, etc]
- Donations: Ananias Ballard, Benjamin Babcock, Robert McKune, etc
- An Old Genealogy Puzzle
- Answers to Queries
- Ancestor Table: Stanley Allen Drake
- Orange County Wills
- Bible Records: Horton Family Bible of John B. Horton Bible, Davis Bible of
Joshua Davis 1818
- Mortgage Sheds Light on David Smith, Miller, of Monroe, NY
- The Sadder Side of Genealogy [reprint of 1854 letters found in OCGS collect
- The Identity of Major John Wood's First Wife
- More Gannon Information
- Where They Went: Wayne Co, PA
- Newburgh Directory for 1858-1859: J through L
- Orange County New York Early Marriages
- Records of Town of Wallkill Orange County, NY: Births 1881-1909
- Programming (not confirmed at press time)
Thursday, August 21, 2003
The Orange County Genealogical Society Quarterly / Volume 33, Number 2 Quarterly (August 2003)
Sunday, August 17, 2003
Saving bandwith with new blosxom plugin
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa just announced a cool new blosxom plugin, href="http://bulknews.net/lib/archives/gzip">gzip . In a
surprising small amount of code, it will transparently compress pages
served out by blosxom. Get it!
Friday, August 15, 2003
Updated blosxom plugin 'find'
My lunchtime hack was to extend href="http://fletcher.freeshell.org/weblog/index.html">Fletcher
T. Penney's blosxom plugin href="http://www.blosxom.com/plugins/search/find.htm">'find' to
allow the last few search terms to be displayed by the blosxom
Use href="http://www.nozell.com/marc/blog/data/find-0.4.mn1">my version of
the find plugin and put $find::recentsearches in your head.html
Wednesday, August 13, 2003
Scam Spam from secure.fethard.biz
I was amused by this scamming spam I got this email today.
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:55:01 -0400
From: Fethard-biz Manager
Subject: You credit card has been charged for $234.65
We have just charged your credit card for money laundry service in
amount of $234.65 (because you are either child pornography webmaster
or deal with dirty money, which require us to layndry them and then
send to your checking account).
If you feel this transaction was made by our mistake, please press
If you confirm this transaction, please press "Yes" and fill in the
Enter your credit card number here: ____________________
Enter your credit card expiration date: ____________________
Phone: +5982 902 5627
Fax: +5982 902 3114
If you were foolish enough to enter your
credit card number and expiration date, it would have been sent to
secure.fethard.biz. The good news is it looks like that site is off
Printing to a microsoft windows-hosted printer from debian
PSC 750 color flatbed all-in-one printer/copier/scanner is
connected to a Microsoft Window2000 desktop and I want to print to it
from the home linux server as well as my laptop when I'm home.
First 'unix printing' support needs to added to the w2k system. Go to
Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and then select 'Add/Remove Windows
Components' on the left sidebar. From there install 'Other Network
File and Print Services' where you will see 'Print Services for
Unix'. Then under the Printers control set the printer as Shared and
name it something, I chose 'allinone'.
Then install the following debian packages:
cupsys — Common UNIX Printing
System(tm) - server
cupsys-bsd — Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
cupsys-client — Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
And then point a web browser to http://localhost
http://<homeserver>:631), authenticate with the root password.
From there, follow 'Manage Printers' and add one as follows:
- queue name: allinone or whatever you like. Description and location are op
- Device: LPD/LPR Host or Printer
- Device URI: lpd://192.168.1.100/allinone -- That is the local IP
address of the w2k system and allinone is the Windows name for that
- Pick the appropriate printer driver, in my case it is HP then 'HP New Deskj
et Series CUPS v1.1 (en)'
- Then configure the printer options if you want to.
Now you can print a job as simply as 'lpr -Pallinone filename.txt' or 'lpr -Pal
While I was at it, I hooked up an old epson color printer to the linux home ser
bottlerocket to control X10 'firecracker'
I finally found some time to cleanup/mess around in the home office
and plugged the X10 'firecracker' into the new home linux server.
Now br A1 OFF turns off the light in my office and
br A2 ON turns on the lava lamp in the older boy's room. Now
to use cron to turn off the lava lamp so I don't have to worry that
the boys forgot to.
bottlerocket &mdash Utility t
o control X10 Firecracker devices