Sitting in front of me is nyx.local, an hp EliteBook 8530w (Ubuntu/Maverick) in a docking station connected to two monitors, keyboard and mouse. To the right is a monitor from an hp workstation xw8000 named mm.local (Debian/Lenny). It is a tucked away in the corner and a bit hard to get to the power button.
My morning routine is:
- Boot nyx.local and log in
- power on mm.local using Wake-on-LAN (WOL):
sudo wakeonlan 00:11:85:ad:eb:ca
- Wait a minute to mm.local to boot and autologin
- Start the synergy server on the system I'm in front of:
- Run the synergy client on the other system:
ssh -f mm.local synergyc nyx.local
Now when I slide the mouse to the right it moves focus to the remote system!
Here is the ~/.synergy.conf file.
right = mm.local
left = nyx